This page tracks the latest sudden sensorineural hearing loss (SSNHL) research. For more information, advice, and support – please visit: https://suddenhearingloss.support.
- Sudden deafness as an initial presentation of varicella: case report and literature review May 28, 2021 - Chickenpox can cause sudden deafness.
- Association between Vitamin D Supplements, Oxidative Stress Biomarkers, and Hyperbaric Therapy in Patients with Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss May 12, 2021 - Repeated HBO procedures can induce adaptive changes which protect against disruption of the oxidant-antioxidant equilibrium. It is possible that vitamin D supplementation inhibits the process of lipid peroxidation in erythrocytes.
- Hyperbaric oxygen for sudden hearing loss: Influence of international guidelines on practice in Australia and New Zealand Mar 28, 2021 - Without well controlled RCTs to develop guidelines based on good evidence this is unlikely to change and practice variation will continue.
- Sudden sensorineural hearing loss and SARS-CoV-2: Donat forget the standard work-up! Feb 21, 2021 - SUMMARY: ALT SUMMARY: N/A TITLE: Sudden sensorineural hearing loss and SARS-CoV-2: Donat forget the standard work-up! ALT TITLE: Vitamin D Supplements, Oxidative Stress Biomarkers, Hyperbaric Therapy in Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss Patients DESCRIPTION: No abstract CONTENT: Eur Ann Otorhinolaryngol Head Neck Dis. 2021 May;138(3):219-220. doi: 10.1016/j.anorl.2021.02.010. Epub 2021 Feb 20.…
- Should patients with sudden deafness be tested for COVID19? Feb 18, 2021 - SUMMARY: ALT SUMMARY: N/A TITLE: Should patients with sudden deafness be tested for COVID19? ALT TITLE: Should Patients with Sudden Deafness be Tested for COVID19? DESCRIPTION: No abstract CONTENT: Auris Nasus Larynx. 2021 Aug;48(4):797-798. doi: 10.1016/j.anl.2021.01.025. Epub 2021 Feb 18. NO ABSTRACT PMID:33637389 | PMC:PMC7891062 | DOI:10.1016/j.anl.2021.01.025 SOURCE: Auris, nasus,…
- Association between the 4G/5G polymorphism of plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 (PAI-1) gene and sudden sensorineural hearing loss in Caucasian population: a meta-analysis Sep 10, 2020 - There is no statistically significant association between the 4G/5G polymorphism of PAI-1 gene and SSNHL in the Caucasian population.
- Comparing the Efficiencies of Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy and Intratympanic Steroid Treatment for Sudden Hearing Loss Jul 28, 2020 - HBOT didn't improve results when it was started late.
- The Outcome of Prompt Concomitant Single-Dose High-Concentration Intratympanic and Tapered Low-Dose Oral Systemic Corticosteroid Treatment for Sudden Deafness Jul 28, 2020 - Tinnitus positively predicts hearing outcome. Vertigo negatively predicts speech discrimination recovery.
- Should air travel be avoided shortly after an idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss? Apr 22, 2020 - This study does not support the avoidance of air-travel after ISSNHL.